Hi friends, how was your weekend?

After Crossfit on Friday (and a delicious breakfast) mom and I headed to Montreal for Gram’s bday weekend. We made a quick pit-stop to pick up Lesley along the way. I brought some goodies to drop off at her apartment.

Goodies for Les

She is awesome at cooking for herself but I know first hand that it is not always easy to cook healthy meals being a busy university student. So I wanted to help her out a bit :)

I brought her a few spices (chilli powder, cinnamon, Italian seasoning and paprika) to jazz up her meals and instant oatmeal packets, for easy breakfasts. I also made “PB & J baked oatmeal cups” (recipe coming your way ASAP) and spinach, tomato muffin tin frittatas.

Muffin Tin Frittatas

The frittatas are so easy to make: 4 eggs, 1 cup egg whites, 1/3 cup milk, pinch of salt & pepper and then I added spinach, tomato and a sprinkling of cheese on top. Use aluminium muffin tins in a muffin pan and bake at 350F for 25 minutes. This recipe made 12 mini frittatas and can be frozen for easy breakfasts and snacks.

Mini frittata

On Friday night, we had an wonderful birthday dinner celebration at Gibby’s – a steak and seafood restaurant in Old Montreal. I am by no means a restaurant connoisseur but I have to say that it was an incredible experience: the ambiance, staff, service and food were top notch. But of course the company was the best part :)

Gibbys2

The meal sure started off on the right note… PICKLES!

Best pre-dinner snack. Big, juicy, sour Montreal pickles are THE. BEST.

Pickle

After far too many pickles, a delicious house salad (the dressing was so good), I had the grilled salmon for my main. Salmon? Surprise? I think not. The picture does not do it justice but it was aaaamazing. Grilled to perfection.

Salmon dinner

Dessert: a delicious white birthday cake with peaches and a delectable buttercream icing. Nom.

Bday cake

The rest of the weekend was just as wonderful as the dinner. I did Erin’s “Arm’s & Abs Workout” (so simple yet tough) and Julie’s “20 Minute Hotel Room Workout”. Gram even joined in on the fun…

Gram workout

How cute is she?

She also knows the importance of good food. She stocked the fridge for us but still insisted “there’s nothing in there.” I disagree.

Breakfast

We did some shopping downtown when the weather was finally bearable. -6C as opposed to -40C hah. Pretty sure Montreal always has snow but at least it wasn’t up to our knees.

I bought hiking shoes and a backpack for Peru.

Amy and Gram

After a yummy breakfast of Montreal bagels (the BEST), fruit, cream cheese and lox (typical Jewish meal) we said our good-byes and made the drive back home.

Montreal bagel breakfast

This weekend showed me that sometimes doing the simplest things (like driving a few hours for your Grandma’s birthday) has profound effects: Grandma was sooo happy and excited to spend her birthday with us. It doesn’t take a lot to make someone else happy: a smile, a coffee, a hug. A little bit of effort makes the world of difference and creates lasting memories. Let’s all do something to make someone else happy today and make it a great Monday :)

What did you do this weekend?

How are you going to make someone else happy today?

Pickles: yay or nay?

29 thoughts on “Happiness, Montreal & Muffin Tin Frittatas

1. Jan @ Sprouts n Squats

Your Grandma sounds so lovely! I love that she got involved and did the workout with you! :D

I like Japanese pickles but not such a huge fan of normal pickles.

My weekend involved a Hen’s party and Australia Day which meant too much drinking!

2. Erin @ The Almond Eater

Bawww you’re right–a little bit does go a long way–hug, smile, coffee are all the best. I’m glad you had a great weekend and enjoyed the planks/push ups :) Well I don’t know if you enjoyed them but you know. Also–best sister award! That’s awesome that you brought your sister food.

3. Chelsea's Healthy Kitchen

Aww what a great weekend! I bet your grandma really appreciated you guys making the trip! I love Montreal, but I haven’t been since 12th grade – I keep on meaning to go there again!

This weekend I went shopping for a friend, cooked dinner for me and the boy, and tried hot yoga for the first time.

4. Nicole @ FruitnFitness

I love that you were able to spend the weekend with your grandma, I’m sure it made her weekend! Your meals look great, I love fresh fruit and good bagels. Real bagels are so good, yet for some reason I don’t like pre bagged ones. Those egg muffins sound good too.

5. thesavedrunner

What a special weekend that you got to spend with your family and grandma for her birthday! I love the picture of her working out with you! That’s too cute! I think it means so much to grandparents when their grown grandchildren make time for them! I know it means the world to mine, and it looks like it meant the world to your grandma too. :) I hope you have a great week girl!

6. Jo @ LivingMintGreen

WHAT? You’re going to Peru? How did I miss this? Where have I been? Why am I not invited?!
    WHEN ARE YOU GOING?

Lol. Omg.

My weekend was uneventful, but I dedicated a lot of time to working on my physical & emotional health in the gym and yoga studio. It was lovely.

7. Sam @ Better With Sprinkles

That’s so sweet that you guys were able to visit your grandma for her birthday! I can only imagine how much she must have appreciated that. I spent the weekend at a job fair in Toronto – geeze, those things are stressful and I wasn’t even the one interviewing for positions! (Eric was).

8. eatgreatbegreat

Aw, your gram joining in on that workout is just the cutest ever! Grandma’s are the best, aren’t they!?! So glad you had such a nice weekend. I love family time and it sounds like everyone really enjoyed themselves!

9. Kelsey

Had a weekend of relaxing, especially after a stint in the ER yesterday late morning…even MORE relax + recovery for today, which is much much needed. I’m going to make myself happy today and enjoy each moment.

Your grandma is gorgeous! I know I said that before, but I see where you get your good looks from, girl! Haha. I’m so glad that you were able to visit her. There’s absolutely nothing I wouldn’t give for another weekend with my grandma. I’m sure all of you were the best birthday gift she could have received!

11. Diana @sosmallsostrong

I swear your grandma made my weekend! So awesome!!
    I will officially be daydreaming about that birthday cake. Buttercream frosting is the best.

I went to a Valor dinner that honored Firefighters (BF’s job) and some much needed grading of papers.
    I actually really like pickles…though they make me crave pastrami sandwiches! :) Have a great Monday.

It sounds like you had a pretty great weekend.
    All of your eats look delicious. I love fresh fruit! So tasty! :D
    The muffins all look so good. I can’t wait for the recipe!

I hope you have a marvelous week. <3

13. swissfitchick

Oh these mini frittatas look so cute and yummy! I NEED to keep them in mind for after my 16 weeks off eggs!!
    YOur grandma is the cutest – both of you! How cool is that she did the workout with you in her bathrobe??
    I wouldn’t mind you dropping off some stuff at my door. Just sayin’. :-)

Love the simple and sweet message at the end of this post. You’re amazing <3 And I love that you and your gram are working out together, adorable! My mom is the same way about food. They keep enough food in the house to feed a small army for several months, but she always insists that they have nothing to eat and spends half our visit at the grocery store. So funny. Hope you're having an amazing Monday lovely.

PS yay to pickles, duh :)

15. Cassie

I spent this weekend with my grandmother too! We had a spa day that I had given her for Christmas. Despite the crazy snow, she was so excited and it was a really fun time for both of us. Then I spent the night and next day with her and my grandfather – they love having me around – spending time with g-rents is so important! And the photo of you and your gram – so cute!

16. Pingback: PB & J Baked Oatmeal Cups ‹ The Little Honey Bee

17. Pingback: Tips For Creating Cupcakes | Paleolithic diet

18. Pingback: Chopped Liver {paleo} ‹ The Little Honey Bee

19. Pingback: Coconut Chocolate Chip Cookies {paleo} {grain free} {vegan option} ‹ The Little Honey Bee