Hi guys! How is your week going so far? I can’t believe it is almost August. Where did the summer go?! Okay it’s obvs not done yet – I need at least one more scoop of pralines and cream before that happens. So I saw my doctor on Monday and got some really promising news re: my knee. Looks like my rest, swimming and icing worked well :) The inflammation is almost down and I should be back full force soon… yay! I’m going to CrossFit this morning, spinning tomorrow, resting and then testing out a run on Saturday. Keep your fingers crossed!
Also on Monday: I completed my second exam and thus my second course in the first part of my program (I’m doing 7 courses in total – but after 4 course I will be a certified nutritionist). I honestly did not love this course (Nutrition Studies and Applications) as the content seemed to be a bit biased but I certainly learned a lot. I’m onto my next course which I am super excited about…
After Sports Nutrition, I take Vegetarian Nutrition and once I complete (and pass) those exams I will be done the first part of my program and officially a certified nutritionist. I’m hoping to start seeing clients and getting things up and running at Honey Bee Health and Nutrition in January 2015. Do you like the prospective name? I will still be completing three more courses in order to further my learning and get a higher certification (RNCP) but that’s my plan so stayed tuned! Phew okay, enough nutrition talk.
About a month ago, I posted my new goals and since I have been too busy to photograph a pancake recipe (I’m sorry!) I am checking in about my goals today. I suck. Don’t hate me. Pancakes coming soon.
1. Don’t let the little stuff bother me. I want to start off by saying that some goals aren’t just “tick a box” when complete because they might never actually get “completed” – this goal falls into this category. What I mean to say is that I am certainly progressing in this area. Sure sometimes something as small as chipping a nail bugs me, but making a conscious effort to just “roll with the punches” has been really positive.
2. Compartmentalize. See above.
3. Cook with a new ingredient/food/spice every week. I’ve actually been pretty good at this. I think food variety is important in order to get all of your nutrients in, but you also don’t need to go overboard. YI’m totally okay with eating leftovers, food prepping and eating a ton of zucchini right now because it’s in season. But I’m also always looking to expand my palette.
I am all about coleslaw lately - I buy a pre-shredded package from the Healthy Butcher (yup, the lazy-way-out) and then heat up a mix of apple cider vinegar, white wine vinegar, honey, salt and pepper then pour it on the cabbage mix and stick it in the fridge. Easy, delish and good for digestion. I’ve also been randomly into red onions lately. Ever since grillin’ them on the skewers I’ve discovered a love for these guys. The red onions added some delicious flavor to this bowl of beef bacon, brussels sprouts and clementines. Brussels in bacon fat is heavenly.
4. Work on my double-unders and pull-ups for 5 minutes, 5-7 days per week. Well maybe 5-7 days per week was a bit ambitious but I have been working on them. A little less so on the double-unders as of late because of my wonky knee, but my pull-ups are getting there. The band is feeling so much easier so I’m working on my kipping motion. Yes I hope to look like a dying fish doing pull-ups.
5. Stand up for myself. I should amend this to say: don’t be a pushover. I’ve had success with this a few different times. It is hard and I hate saying “no” but I’m learning that it’s necessary for my own sanity, well-being and overall health.
6. Eat more before dinner/eat bigger meals. This has actually been overall successful. As you saw on Monday, an extra afternoon snack has been working well to make sure I get enough of what I need and help curb some sugar cravings/night-time snacking. I still enjoy some fruit for dessert (been eating the most delicious raspberries that Lesley hand-picked) but snacking on some fruit is a bit different than feeling starving at 8pm and cue snack attack. I forget what night it was, but I totally demolished fruit nut and seed granola [recipe] and five spoonfuls of almond butter while standing in the kitchen.
Firstly, my stomach killed. (I friggin love nuts and seeds but the phytic acid in them hates me). Secondly, I went back through what I ate that day and realized it wasn’t enough food. Therefore: eat.all.the.food. I should have had more of dinner but more beef and kale did not sound appetizing. I think (no, I know) that my calorie counting past led me to have a mentality of “saving calories” for dessert later in the day. No, no, no. Eating more food earlier has been soooo much better but obvs still working on this. I also want to work on incorporating/trying some more nutrient-dense foods in general… need to get liver back into the rotation.
7. Practice positive self talk. Definitely another work in progress. But, I think this reminder is fitting.
8. Find new running routes/running buddy. Since I haven’t really been running, this goal has been sucking a little. I have some new ideas for routes (I want to run along the water while it is still nice out) and I actually connected with another Saucony 26 Strong cadet who is from Toronto! A friend is also training for a marathon so we are going to coordinate some runs in the coming weeks.
9. Swim. Yup! Twice this past weekend is pretty great for me. I plan on getting in the water again on Friday and hopefully Sunday too. Dare I say that I am actually starting to like it… or at least like how it is making me feel. Gosh, my dad is going to have a field day with that comment.10. Un-plugging. Soooo I haven’t been great at un-plugging. I really need to stop checking my phone before bed and aimlessly scrolling through Instagram. Who cares if I miss what someone ate earlier? Les – hold me to this. Make it a great one!
Questions of the day…
How are you doing with some of your goals or intentions?
What’s been the best part of your week so far?
Keep in touch:
Twitter –> @thelilhoneybee
Instagram –> thelittlehoneybee
Facebook –> The Little Honey Bee
Pinterest –> thelilhoneybee
Bloglovin –> The Little Honey Bee