Hi friends, happy Friday!

Eggs. Yes again. I have been eating A LOT of them lately. Mostly hard boiled or veggie scrambles but they are on repeat. Eggs are inexpensive, easy to make, packed with protein and healthy fats. Anyways, I have been meaning to buy a new pan because our designated non-stick “egg pan” has lost it’s non-stick… which makes for a pretty messy clean up.

So I took the easy way out for this one and used the microwave. Please don’t lecture me on how bad the microwave is for us. Yes I know it’s probably not the best but whatever I am lazy sometimes. If I don’t use the microwave then I better stop talking on my cell phone. Oh and listening to my iPod. Oh and using my straightener. Or blow dryer. ‘Cause all of those things are “bad” for us as well. No I don’t stand in front of the microwave but the truth is there are so many crazy things in our world that unless you literally live in a bubble you can’t escape it.

Okay microwave, technology and all other unhealthy emissions tangent over.

Microwave Egg Frittata2

Simple is often best. I was starving (no surprise there) so I threw a bunch of things into a bowl: egg whites, carrot, zucchini, quinoa, pinch of this and a pinch of that. Popped it into the microwave, cook, stir, cook, eat. Done.

Breakfast, lunch, dinner, snack… whatever floats your boat… this is a super protein packed vegetarian meal. I had this “powerbowl” with a handful of nuts and some fruit but toast or even topping the bowl with avocado would be delicious too. And no it’s not pretty. I’m over it.

Microwave Egg Frittata5

Microwave Powerbowl Frittata

Ingredients

• 3/4 cup liquid egg whites
  • 1/2 cup grated carrot
  • 1/2 cup grated zucchini
  • 1/4 cup cooked quinoa
  • 1/16 tsp garlic salt
  • 1/16 tsp pepper

Instructions

1. Combine all ingredients in a microwave safe bowl.

2. Microwave on high for 4 minutes, stop to stir halfway through.

And that’s it!

Before I go, I want to wish a very happy 75th birthday to my beloved Grandma. I’m heading to Montreal this morning to celebrate with her. Happy Birthday Gram — you’re the hottest 75 year old I know… keep rocking those Lulus… love ya!

Amy and Gram

Hope you have a fabulous weekend!

Are you adverse to the microwave?

How do you like your eggs?

What are you up to this weekend?

25 thoughts on “Microwave Powerbowl Frittata {for one}

1. Lauren @ ihadabiglunch

You can never eat too many eggs! What I love about them (and something you did a really good job of illustrating in this post) is that you can do a million things with eggs! They’re like a blank canvas just waiting for some creativity

2. Jan @ Sprouts n Squatsj

I often will microwave 1 egg and halfway through break up a babybel cheese and mix it in and then put it back in the microwave and have cheesy eggs either on toast or as is, it is so good. Your Frittata sounds delicious and so simple which I love :)

3. Erin @ The Almond Eater

I love eggs (had two hard boiled for breakfast this morning!), I love the microwave and LOLLL at your rant. “Yeah it’s not the best but I’m lazy sometimes…” …..are you in my mind? Those are my exact thoughts on the daily and I’m not even mad about it! Have a great weekend Amy!

4. Madison @ Eating 4 Balance

I’m not adverse to the microwave as I have to use it everyday up at school. I think that its ability to help you heat up/cook healthy food totally overshadows any of the risks. Plus, I have yet to find a conclusive study that actually shows how microwaves harm food more than any other cooking mechanism.

Scrambled eggs are probably my favorite.

This turned out excellent, and they don’t look rubbery at all :)

You and your grandma are so adorable!! I love it. Also, I microwave everything… so, yeah. :) I’m more worried about the wifi and cellphone waves beaming through our bodies all day everyday. Not that I could live without wifi. Or cellphones. Now my brain hurts. Have a safe trip to Montreal, wish I could meet you there <3

Microwaves have been around for a while now, and there is no conclusive link to them and any kind of terrible, harmful disease, illness, or disorder. Keep doing what you’re doing, girl.

Also, can’t BELIEVE your grandma is 75?? She is a hottie!

7. Megan (The Lyons' Share)

Your grandmother looks AMAZING! (I first wrote “for 75″, but she just looks amazing overall!). I use the microwave, too. I’ve read studies that go both ways, and in a perfect world I would avoid them “just in case,” but I’m not in a perfect world :).

8. Josh

LOVE THIS! Never thought to use the microwave for something like that but this is great! Not lazy at all but resourceful and clever in my opinion heh. Like you said, I’d love this with some cinnamon raisin ezekiel toast with avocado or nut butter. Thanks for the great idea!

9. Almost Getting It Together

I feel like this is literally everything I have ever wanted in a 5-minute lunch/dinner/snack. I’m not microwave adverse – it’s probably bad, yeah, but people have been using it for 30 years soooo. I am too lazy/ravenously hungry to turn on the stove/oven every time I need to warm something up!

Love this idea! Super quick and looks really tasty. I am with you on the microwave thing.. I actually heat up most meals in it just because I don’t have time to cook everyday, especially when I am cooking a big batch recipe that I can’t help but have to heat up.

11. GiGi Eats Celebrities

The microwave is probably THE BEST invention on the face of the planet. I don’t care what the NAY SAYERS… SAY! POO POO on you! I am going to microwave when I need it… That being said, if I do have time, I would rather bake/broil because I like a bit of CRISP on top of my food :)

12. Nicole @ FruitnFitness

This is filled with so many healthy veggies. I love eggs, I have been having them scrambled with spinach and mushrooms almost every night. I had never really thought about making them in the microwave like this.

13. Nikki @ Quest for Balance

I’m with you that pretty much everything in the world gets a bad wrap at one point of another for the potential damage it can do to our bodies, planet etc. It’s kind of ludicrous. I think you just have to practise as many healthy habits as you can and do what works for you. I’m all for microwaving food. After all, how do you heat up leftovers at work? It’s not like everyone’s office has an over kicking around. As for my favourite way to eat eggs, I could not possibly pick one favourite. That’s the beauty of eggs. So versatile. Happy Birthday to your Gran! She is adorable. Hope you have a lovely weekend celebrating.

14. Pingback: Happiness, Montreal & Muffin Tin Frittatas ‹ The Little Honey Bee