Don’t worry: I didn’t throw in the towel (the marathon is still happening) but the location has changed…
Thanks to the serious generosity of Saucony and their efforts for the 26 Strong campaign, Morganne, me, and most of the other 26 Strong teams are heading to Hawaii in December to run the Honolulu Marathon! How cool/fun/awesome/lucky is that?!
I am soooo excited and so grateful for this opportunity but I have to be completely honest with you: changing our marathon date/location/situation freaked me out. I am a planner and I had the plan in my head: Las Vegas. November. Afternoon race. Parents coming. Training plan set. Weather. Travel. Okay let’s do this… wait, not anymore?!
There were lots of things that changed with Hawaii (thankfully we still kept our half-marathon date on October 19th in St. Louis – too much change = freak out) but I had to breakdown a lot of mental barriers I had in my head:
- Longer travel time, warmer climate and time difference: how will my body adjust? What will I wear? What will I eat?
- The race begins at 5am: That’s even early for me.
- My family cannot attend: I will miss hugging them at the finish line.
- New training plan: Running 20 miles outside in the Canadian winter is not my idea of fun
- Saucony + 26 Strong teams = a nervous Amy. Having other people around makes me nervous. What if I have to walk? Will I feel like a failure? Well at least the scenery will be gorgeous.
But as Morganne and I discussed: everything happens for a reason – and I knew it was meant to be because with all the change came many positives:
- Um it’s freaking Hawaii. Shut-up Amy and suck up the flight/time difference. I’ve never been and I’m definitely extending my trip to enjoy the beach and sights.
- 5am start time will feel like 11am for me/my body. I just need to be smart about my sleeping/jet-lag.
- I’m 23. It’ll be okay without my parents (I just love their support!) Maybe some hot-Hawaiin-sufer-dude will fall in love with me and be at the finish line to hug me.
- Outdoor running means outdoor running gears means an excuse to go shopping…
- Saucony + other teams = support not judgement. Relax, Amy.
Those were my thoughts. And then I thought of one of my favorite movies, which made any doubts disappear – because duh, I’m running a marathon not competing at Pipeline.
Yeah… I don’t have photoshop but thank you Picmonkey.
Anyways, if all goes well, we will still be crossing the finish line, and still popping a bottle of champagne (or maybe an Island-inspired-drink), but instead of gambling I’m gonna hop on a surfboard (when I can feel my legs) with a coconut bra, grass skirt and then see a volcano. Yup, a pretty awesome change of plans if you ask me.
Hawaii… get ready for the Nutty Honey Runners! We are certainly getting ready for you…
And I had to throw this pic in here too because it seems pretty official when you find your face in Women’s Running magazine… eek!
Training has official begun… let’s do this!
Questions of the day…
Have you ever been to Hawaii? Any travel recommendations?
Keep in touch:
Twitter –> @thelilhoneybee
Instagram –> thelittlehoneybee
Facebook –> The Little Honey Bee
Pinterest –> thelilhoneybee
Bloglovin –> The Little Honey Bee