Guys, I had two vodka-sodas on Thursday night and I was wreckeddddd on Friday. Maybe it was the lack of sleep or the half a jar of coconut butter I ate when I got home at 1am (who am I?) but my Friday was miserable. My head, stomach, body… hated me. I went to hot yoga after work which helped sweat the toxins out and I felt loads better. But it was a good reminder why I don’t miss this and how much my body loves real food and freaks out when I slap it in the face with liquid fun. I took the weekend to relax and re-charge – Jays game, workouts, good food and friends. Vodka and veggies people.
I’ve been feeling a bit overwhelmed lately with a lot on the go. Same old, same old but I wasn’t handling it very well last week. When I feel overwhelmed I: a) cry b) run c) make a list d) talk about it. Then I feel better. And I set a few goals (food/fitness/life) to help alleviate some of these feelings and get back on track. Any normal person, would write their goals on a sticky note or in a diary, but we bloggers aren’t normal. We share our lives for the world to see. So that’s what I’m going to do.
1. Don’t let the little stuff bother me. Truth.
2. Compartmentalize. My dad used to tell me this before basketball games: put your essay due tomorrow, fight with the bf, bad grade in a little box and leave it outside of the court. I need to remember to do this in my everyday life: leave work at the office, leave frustrations at the door.
3. Cook with a new ingredient/food/spice every week. Yup, food variety. When I see a new-to-me veggie, meat, whatever… I’m going to buy it. Last week, was beets… my new-found love! I bought a purple cabbage this week.
4. Work on my double-unders and pull-ups for 5 minutes, 5-7 days per week. Double-unders = the skipping rope makes two passes per jump instead of just one. Pull-ups = overhand grip, chin over the bar. I know this is not going to happen overnight, but I am already getting better. I bought my own rope and my own band (for the pull-ups) and am determined to master these moves. I totally can: determination and practice.
5. Stand up for myself. When I’m right, I need to tell the person: I’m right. Don’t be a pushover.
6. Eat more before dinner/eat bigger meals. I am still snacking more at night than I want to be. I’m legit hungry, which means I am not getting enough food during the day. So I’m going to start making (and eating) a bigger breakfast, lunch and dinner.
7. Practice positive self talk. I want to be perfect, and when I’m not, I am hard on myself. I think we can all work on this – sometimes it’s crazy to realize how hard we are on ourselves. Love, love, love.
8. Find new running routes/running buddy. I am not going to lie – I haven’t been all that motivated to run lately… and I sorta need to because marathon training starts this week (stay tuned for a pretty exciting update on Wednesday). So I think a change in scenery and a friend to run with is necessary.9. Swim. I suck at swimming but I want to tryyyyy and incorporate it for cross-training. 10. Un-plugging. Yes. Needs to happen.
Okay 10 goals is a lot… so that’s that. Oh random aside: I’m obsessed with my latest nail polish discovery. It looks really similar to my nails in the past, but it’s lighter, more white, less pink and I think prettier. “Romper Room” by Essie… love. Put it on your nails, it will make you feel happy. K time for food.
Beef burger with a fried egg, grilled asparagus and an avocado with salsa
Beef burger, hard boiled egg, grilled asparagus, sweet potato and an avocado
Chicken sausages, broccoli, beets, peppers + a banana + cashews
Hard boiled eggs, peppers, mashed butternut squash, an avocado and trail mix
Grilled chicken salad: spinach, beets, sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, yellow peppers with olive oil dressing (courtesy of Mom – I will share the recipe soon!)
Ground beef, kale, brussels sprouts and salsa (plus an un-pictured sweet potato)
1/2 a burger with baby carrots
Hard-boiled egg with strawberries and blueberries
Coconut butter. I discovered the amazing-ness of heating up Nikki’s Coconut Butter… it was flaky and not very appetizing before. Now it is like crack. Spoonful after spoonful crack… (Say crack again. Crack.) <– name that movie! As much as I love it, it hurts my stomach A LOT so I need to remember to put it in a bowl.
I finally linked 3 chin-ups! Aka did them in a row. Yay!
Completed the workout as prescribed… another yay! It was a tough one but I was pretty happy with my 148 reps.
I modified the kettlebell weight to be 12kg and did 25 “attempted” double unders. 223 reps.
We worked on our hand stand push-ups… getting there.
WOD was Jackie:
Rowing. Ugh. But I kinda surprised myself and finished the 1000m row in 5:04. Women’s thrusters were at 35 pounds and I did banded pull-ups to finish in 12:58.
Felt great afterwards, during… another story.
1 mile run + 5 rounds of 3, 6, 9 of: chin-ups, push-ups, air squats + 5 sprints
CrossFit: Olympic Lifting
I’ve been slacking on going to the “olympic lifting” technical class on Sundays but I went yesterday. I don’t love it. I usually get really frustrated that my form isn’t right and I’m not lifting as heavy as everyone else. We did a WOD with front squats and double-unders – I was so frustrated with myself… tears almost occurred.
And that was my week! How was yours?
Questions of the day…
Do you have any goals? How do you keep yourself accountable?
Keep in touch:
Twitter –> @thelilhoneybee
Instagram –> thelittlehoneybee
Facebook –> The Little Honey Bee
Pinterest –> thelilhoneybee
Bloglovin –> The Little Honey Bee