Happy birthday to me.
Yup. I’m the big two-three today. Okay that’s not a thing. After your 21st, I feel like all of your other birthdays in the 20s are just getting closer to 30 and no-one really wants that. I’m totally kidding. Kinda. Birthdays are fun. I like my birthday, I don’t need a huge party (but if you want to throw me one, I’ll come) but I definitely don’t mind getting attention… clearly, I’m announcing that it’s my day of birth on the Internet. I swear, I’m not actually a brat.
I’ve definitely had quite the week leading up to my birthday. I posted a recap of our trip to London on Wednesday (you can catch up here) but the short version is that it was amazing. Not that I’m really surprised: I love London and love Lesley soooo it’s a match made in heaven. That was a pretty perfect birthday present.
But no birthday is complete without a delicious cake.
I remember having a huuuuge ice-cream cake phase as a kid. Mom would make one with a graham cracker crust and the tri-flavor ice-cream… so good. But I’d prefer not to spend my birthday with horrible stomach pains, gas and bloating, agreed? Agreed.
So I was determined to make a birthday cake made from real and wholesome ingredients – yes, I made my own cake. And since I was making my cake, I made it exactly the way I like cake: rich, dark and fudgy. No frosting because I always scrape it off anyways. (I know, what’s wrong with me?) Just chocolate-y goodness. They say the third time’s a charm and that’s how long it took me to figure this cake out. The first time, I didn’t let it cool and it was disastrous. The second time, I was patient and let it cool but it still didn’t work. So finally I ditched the bundt-cake-pan and realized that it needs to be made in a glass dish. It’s fudgy and gooey and delicious but please serve the cake from the dish.
I will most definitely be having a slice (or two) tonight. Is it dessert time yet? If I wasn’t going to CrossFit, I totally would have had a slice for breakfast. Yes I woke up at 4:45am on my birthday because I love CrossFit and my day wouldn’t be complete without the 6am crew.
I’ve had a bunch of work stuff to catch up on since I’ve been back while trying to get enough sleep, get back on track with some more nourishing eats and allow my body to fully re-charge. I have a few plans this weekend but nothing too crazy, other than jamming out to Katy – do you love that song as much as I do? Please say yes. I’ll surely fill you in about my birthday weekend on Monday – because birthdays are never just one day. They are always a weekend. At least.
Hope you have a wonderful and sunny weekend – and treat yourself to something delicious… birthday or not!
Fudgy Brownie Birthday Cake
Ingredients (Makes one delicious cake)
- 1 cup almond flour
- 1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 2 cups unsweetened almond milk
- 1/2 cup almond butter
- 1/2 cup honey (vegan option: maple syrup)
- 1 tbsp. vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup dark chocolate chips (plus more for sprinkling, optional)
- coconut oil
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and grease a 9-inch circular glass baking dish (2-inch in height) with coconut oil. Set aside.
2. In a medium bowl, combine almond flour, cocoa powder, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
4. In a large bowl, whisk almond milk, almond butter, honey and vanilla extract.
5. Add the almond flour mixture to the almond milk mixture and whisk to combine very well.
6. Add chocolate chips and stir to combine.
7. Pour batter into cake pan.
8. Bake for 1 hour – if you are sprinkling chocolate chips, do so after 50 minutes.
9. Remove from oven and allow to cool.
10. Slice, sing happy birthday (worst song ever – such a hard tune!), serve and enjoy!
Questions of the day…
How do you celebrate your birthday? What’s your favorite kind of cake?
Keep in touch:
Twitter –> @thelilhoneybee
Instagram –> thelittlehoneybee
Facebook –> The Little Honey Bee
Pinterest –> thelilhoneybee
Bloglovin –> The Little Honey Bee