Hi friends! I hope you had a wonderful weekend :) I have two more days left of the Whole 30 so (as per usual) I just want to do a quick recap of last week and share some of my typical and favorite eats from the past
30 28 days.
Things are going well! I didn’t drink this past week like I did during week 3, but I found myself having a snack after dinner. Coconut butter and dried fruit specifically. After week 2, I was eating 3 meals and workout snacks most days. I don’t snack throughout the day (and I like this) but I have been usually having a snack after dinner. I thought I wasn’t eating enough throughout the day so I added more but that didn’t always help.
Was I actually hungry? Stress eating? Bored? I don’t know. And I don’t really care. I loved learning about myself these last 30 days – and that’s just what I did. I learned. I think I just like having “dessert.” I don’t really mind this all that much but I think I will continue to add a little extra to lunch or dinner so I don’t find myself in the coconut butter jar at 10pm – at least it’s not the cookie jar.
Okay grocery fun…
Here’s what I bought for week #4:
- 5 sweet potatoes – $6.36
- 3 golden delicious apples – $2.82
- 2 bosc pears – $1.44
- 8 bananas – $2.04
- 7 avocados – $7.99
- 3 zucchini – $2.63
- 4 organic carrots – $3.99
- 1 box organic baby spinach – $2.99
- 1 box cremini mushrooms – $2.49
- 1 bunch of asparagus – $2.06
- 12 organic free range eggs – $6.99
- 12 chicken sausages – $23.42
- 1.5 lbs grass fed ground beef – $14.50
Total = $79.13
Lowest grocery bill of Whole 30! Now, I think this has to do with the fact I didn’t buy much organic this week. I couldn’t find any produce at a reasonable price so I resorted to going to Concord and buying local, which is definitely better than other options. Doing what I can :) I went to Highland Farms yesterday and was really happy with their organic selection and prices!
I shared three What I Ate Wednesday posts during my Whole 30 (here and here and here) so you have a pretty good idea of how and what I ate but I thought I’d share some of my workout snacks and meals – Whole 30 or not, they are good, nutritious and yummy eats. I ate based on my hunger and listening to my body. Some days were more, some were less. As always, figure out how much and what works for you. These are some ideas…
Pre-CrossFit, I typically had/have a hard boiled egg and cashews. I love this post-workout snack because it is filling but not stick-to-your-ribs-I-can’t move filling. On the weekends, when I workout a bit later and have a longer workout, I might have 2 hard boiled eggs and half an avocado.
Pre-running or spinning or yoga, I typically had/have a hard boiled egg and a banana. I choose to have the banana because these are typically longer workouts and I want slower digesting carbs to sustain the duration of my activity.
After a workout I always have a post-workout snack – usually carbs and protein before having my first meal of the day (since I workout in the morning). I try to eat this within 30 minutes of working out – like a sweet potato and a bit of chicken or another hard boiled egg and banana. This has been working for me and replenishing my body after activity. These are some typical meals broken down by my favorite protein sources throughout the Whole 30.
2. 3 over-easy eggs cooked in coconut oil, banana and cinnamon sauteed in coconut oil, roasted brussels sprouts and coconut butter
3. 3 hard boiled eggs, sauteed spinach, banana and sweet potato sauteed in coconut oil and cinnamon
4. 3 sunny side up eggs, banana and frozen berries sauteed in coconut oil and cinnamon and almonds
1. Apple chicken burger
3. Jerk chicken sausages, apple, sweet potato and spinach scramble with avocado [directions]
4. Jerk chicken sausages, avocado, tomato, pineapple and blueberries (post-workout)
2. Sauteed ground beef on a sweet potato with tomato and avocado
3. I ate a sardine. It happened. Only could handle one – I had it with avocado and lemon juice. Gulp. Too many nutrients to not give it a shot.
I am officially done the Whole 30 on Tuesday and am in the process of articulating my final thoughts and “what the heck is next”. Please feel free to ask me any and all questions :)
Have a great Monday!
Questions of the day…
How was your weekend? Anything new and exciting happening?
Keep in touch:
Twitter –> @thelilhoneybee
Instagram –> thelittlehoneybee
Facebook –> The Little Honey Bee
Pinterest –> thelilhoneybee
Bloglovin –> The Little Honey Bee