Last week, I set out to make Angela’s veggie burgers. But I have the inability to follow a recipe so I didn’t actually follow it. Oops or not oops. I honestly don’t remember the last time I followed a recipe to a T. Oh wait, scratch that, I do! Morganne’s Chunky Monkey Fudge!!! I followed that exactly and it’s delicious. Hmmm maybe I should follow recipes more often.
Anyways, I digress. I usually change a billion and one things. Firstly, I try to make it easier. As you know, I am so not a complex cooker. Too many steps? Forget it. Too many ingredients? See ya latah.
So I change things around a bit. Next, I go off of what ingredients I have or don’t have. Don’t have fresh parsley? Use dried. Don’t have bread crumbs? Use almond meal. Sure I could go to the store but realistically I am not leaving the kitchen so I improvise.
Sometimes this turns out terribly. Sometimes it works. When it works, it makes it on the blog. When it doesn’t, it makes it in my stomach — unless it is seriously inedible.
These burgers are pretty delicious if I do say so myself — and I obviously have Angela to thank for getting me started. I changed a bit of this a bit of that — like adding more beans and veggies for a bit more heartiness and baking them (nope they aren’t dry).
Okay you have to know that these burgers are good because I woke up one morning last week and had it for breakfast! Who am I?! I am calling this Crossfit cravings…
Anyways I am going to stop rambling and hope you make and enjoy these delish veggie burgers. If you want to make them gluten free, be sure to use certified gluten free oat flour (or make your own oat flour by processing GF oats until flour-like) and GF bread crumbs.
Black Bean Veggie Burgers
Adapted from Oh She Glows
Ingredients (Makes 7 burgers)
- 2 tbsp. ground flax
- 1/3 cup water
- 1 can (14 ounces) black beans (about 1 3/4 cups), drained, rinsed and mashed with a fork
- 1 cup carrots, grated
- 1/2 cup sunflower seeds
- 1/2 cup oat flour
- 1/2 cup bread crumbs (I processed 1.5 pieces of whole wheat Ezekiel bread until crumbly)
- 1/2 tbsp. olive oil
- 1/4 cup onion, diced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tbsp. soy sauce
- 1 tsp. chilli powder
- 1 tsp. cumin
- 1 tsp. oregano
- salt and pepper, to taste
1. Preheat oven to 350F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper, set aside.
2. Combine ground flax and water in a small bowl and set aside for at least 10 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, in a large bowl, combine black beans, carrots, sunflower seeds, oat flour and bread crumbs. Set aside.
4. In a small skillet, heat olive oil and sauté onions and garlic until onions are soft.
5. Add onions and garlic to the black bean mixture.
6. Add soy sauce, chilli powder, cumin and oregano to mixture and mix well.
7. Add salt and pepper to taste.
8. With slightly wet hands, shape dough into patties and place on baking sheet. Pack dough tightly as this will help it stick together. I made 7 patties 1/3 cup in size.
9. Bake for 36 minutes… flipping halfway through (18 minutes per side).
Questions of the day…
Are you good at following recipes?
Do you prefer to make up your own recipes/wing it or follow someone else’s?
Keep in touch:
Twitter –> @thelilhoneybee
Instagram –> thelittlehoneybee
Facebook –> The Little Honey Bee
Pinterest –> thelilhoneybee
Bloglovin –> The Little Honey Bee