I hope you had a wonderful (American) Thanksgiving celebration. You can send some leftovers my way…
Holidays, like Thanksgiving, are usually a time when we tend to eat more food than we may have liked. It happens. It also happens to me on an ordinary day when I let the snack monster get the better of me. That’s totally fine: we strive for consistency not perfection.
So how do we handle the next day? Here are 5 tip to recover from your over-stuffed belly or as I call it, a food coma.
1. Commit to getting back on track: There is no use dwelling over it. It happened. Move on and commit to making healthy changes today.
2. Move your body: Yes, Black Friday shopping counts! Go for a walk with family and friends or drag your butt out the door for literally a turkey trot. Sure, your run might be slow, you might not lift as heavy and you might feel like lying in shavasna the entire time but activity often aids in digestion and produces endorphins that make us feel great.
3. Focus on fruits, vegetables and protein: It’s pointless to restrict your food intake: it will only make you hungry! Then you become ravenous and might devour all those leftover brownies. Eat a nourishing breakfast (eggs and fruit; oatmeal; a smoothie) and focus on eating lots of fruit, vegetables and protein for the rest of the day.
4. Drink water: We all know how good water is for us… we need it in order to stay hydrated and helps to flush out any toxins in our system. It also aids in digestion and can often prevent overeating.
5. Love yourself: We are human. We like food. We eat food. Sometimes we eat more than we like because it’s delicious. And that’s cool.
If only I looked that cute when I stuff my face.
When your turkey leftovers run out, be sure to head over to Cori’s amazing blog where I am stopping by with a yummy dinner recipe! Hope you have a happy and healthy weekend.
Questions of the day…
What tips would you add?
What are you up to this weekend?