Good morning friends! How was your long weekend? Well, it’s back to work… so bizzare that I said work and not school. Yup still can’t fathom that I’m not in class right now. #realworld
Thank you so much for all of your wonderful comments about my upcoming half-marathon! I ran 10km yesterday and am recovering with a yoga session this evening. Feeling great!
Snail mail is seriously under-rated. It’s way more exciting receiving a package than an email.
Quest bars have dominated my Instagram feed for months… they are the new thing to ‘gram now that people are over posting their Starbucks cups. Everyone raves about these protein bars but I had yet to try them.
First, they had to pass my ingredients and nutrition test. Research time…
- No added sugar, sugar alcohols* or artificial sweeteners: sweetened with lo han guo (a natural herb) stevia (another herb) and erythritol*, which is technically a sugar alcohol but is much better absorbed by our bodies.
- No glycerin
- No soy products
- Gluten free
- Short ingredients list
- Approximately 20g of protein (whey protein isolate) per bar
They passed… yay!
Cue Tweeting @QuestNutrition…
Quest kindly sent me a 12-flavor sample pack.
Vanilla Almond Crunch, Peanut Butter Supreme, Peanut Butter and Jelly, Mixed Berry Bliss, Chocolate Brownie, Apple Pie, Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough, Cinnamon Roll, Coconut Cashew…
…just to name a few.
I’ve had one nearly every day for about a week. Quest overload? My thoughts:
- Satisfying: They are super filling. Like wow. I did not want another snack two seconds later… nice!
- Taste: I find them quite sweet but enjoyed a few flavors (keep reading).
- Texture: I am not a huge fan of the texture at room temperature so I popped them in the microwave for 15-20 seconds (as per Instagram suggestions) and thought they tasted much better.
- Aftertaste? I found them to have an aftertaste – Davida mentioned that some people are sensitive to erythritol so maybe that’s it?
- On-the-go: They are a great pre/post workout on-the-go option. If you’re pressed on time, it’s far easier to throw a Quest bar in your gym bag than a bowl of oatmeal.
Favorite flavors? Coconut Cashew and Chocolate Peanut Butter.
Verdict? Good but not blown away. I know, I know… you Quest lovers are probably freaking out. But I don’t want to lie to you (never have, never will). I did like a few flavors but the texture and after-taste are not wins in my books.
Future? They are a bit pricey but I’ll probably splurge on my favorites every once and awhile when I’m feeling kitchen lazy.
A big thank you to Quest Nutrition for sending me the sample! Hope they don’t hate me for not giving a five star review…
Disclaimer: I received this product free of charge but, as always, opinions are my own.
Do you agree with any of my thoughts on Quest bars?
Are you a Quest bar fan?
What other protein bars do you like?