Chocolate= fondue, s’mores and kisses.
Black beans= burritos, nachos and bean salads.
Chocolate AND black beans= brownies. (Is she crazy?)
An unlikely combination, I know, but trust me: fudgey deliciousness. They passed the family and friends taste test!
I’ve seen a bunch of recipes for black bean brownie popping up online but none looked totally appealing. So, I started experimenting. I love honey, I love oats, I love cocoa and yes I do love black beans. Amidst the torrential rain and power outages that the city of Toronto experienced last night, I finally came up with a winning creation.
These brownies are easy to make (obvs), good for you, fudgey and chocolatey. What more can you ask for? Once the timer rang and I took the brownies out of the oven I wanted to try them right away… I am the worst at waiting for things to cool!
Bad idea? No. Messy idea? Yes. I waited about 10 minutes before cutting into this fudgey goodness. I had enough self control to at least not burn my mouth! Oh my gosh. Chocolate heaven. If you don’t mind some goo, dig in when I did. But the longer you allow the brownies to cool, the more solid they become.
“If I didn’t know there were beans in here, I wouldn’t know there were beans in here. But there are beans in here.”
— Taste test participant
Black Bean Brownies
Ingredients (Makes 12 brownies)
- 1 and 1/2 cups black beans, drained and rinsed very well
- 2 tbsp. cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup rolled oats – gluten free if necessary
- 1/2 cup raw honey (vegan option: maple syrup)
- 2 tbsp. coconut oil, melted
- 2 tsp. pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 cup dark chocolate chips
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
2. Line a loaf pan (5×9) with parchment paper and set aside.
3. Combine all ingredients (except the chocolate chips) in a food processor and blend until completely smooth.
4. Stir in the chocolate chips.
5. Pour the batter into pan and bake for 18-20 minutes – until top has a crust.
6. Allow the brownies to cool for at least 10 minutes before cutting into 12 squares. These brownies are super gooey and delicious but cool longer to allow the brownies to better solidify.
And that’s it! Easy right? Happy baking :)
So? How were they?
What are some other “weird” food combinations that you make and love?