This post was featured for “Healthy Living Tuesdays” on Healthy Living Blogs… and this is the perfect way to get in a killer workout, enjoy the outdoors without spending a penny.
So grab a workout buddy and channel your inner child. To warm up, walk (or jog) to the playground, stretch it out and then start playing… “grown-up” style!
Below you will find a few simple exercises and a workout to get you started.
1. Pull-ups: Hang on the bar with your legs off the ground. Keep your back straight and core tight. Using your arm strength, pull your body up so your head clears the bar. Try this with both grips: palms towards you and palms away from you.
2. Standing push-ups: Place your hands on a bar where you can incline your body to form a 45 degree angle. Do a push-up as you would on the floor. Try this three ways: regular hand distance apart (targeting your shoulders), hands close together, elbows touching your sides (working your triceps) and a wide hand distance (strengthening your back).
3. Hanging sit-ups: Hang from your knees on a bar. Slowly and carefully, release your hands and let your torso hang towards the ground. Using your core strength, fold your body towards the bar – simulating a sit-up.
4. Hanging knee raises: Hang from your hands on a bar. Keeping your body as straight as possible, use your core to bring your knees to your chest.
5. Swing mountain climbers: Place your palms on the seat of a swing and your feet on the ground. Keeping your back straight and core tight, bring one knee at a time to your chest. Alternate knees to chest and increase your speed as you get comfortable.
6. Swing push-ups: Place your feet on the seat of a swing and your palms on the ground. Perform a push-up as you would normally. Having to balance on the swing makes this push-up more challenging and targets your core.
What’s your favorite way to enjoy the outdoors?
What are you up to this weekend?