I had a very busy (but amazing!) weekend. I was a bit short on time so I cooked up a big batch of “Bean and Veggie Ratatouille” to have for my lunches this week. It’s basically a big stew of vegetables, kidney beans and tomato! Yummy.
Bean and Veggie Ratatouille
Ingredients (Makes four servings)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 red pepper, chopped
- 1 yellow pepper, chopped
- 1 sweet potato, peeled and chopped
- 2 small zucchinis, chopped
- 2 cups red kidney beans, drained and rinsed (about 1 can)
- 3 cups pureed tomatoes (I buy an Italian brand with no additives)
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- sprinkle of crushed red pepper flakes
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Olive oil
1. Over medium-high heat, saute the onion in a nonstick skillet coated in olive oil until soft.
2. Add the chili powder, oregano, crushed red pepper flakes, salt, and pepper.
3. Stir in the garlic and bell peppers, and cook until the peppers are soft and the garlic is golden but not burned.
4. While the peppers are cooking, microwave the sweet potato pieces for 4 minutes.
5. Stir in the pureed tomatoes, sweet potatoes and the zucchini.
6. When all the vegetables are soft (which was about the time it took me to clean up), add the beans.
7. Simmer for 30 minutes.
8. Pack into containers for lunch… or enjoy right now! This made four lunches for me.
What’s in your brown paper bag today?