Hi friends! I am super excited to finally link up with Lisa for Fit Tip Tuesday.

Fit Tip Tuesday Button

Today I want to talk about adding healthy fats to your diet. It is something that I am focussing on and it is definitely important.

Healthy fats are widely accepted as monounsaturated fats and polyunsaturated fats. They help to lower our cholesterol and reduce our risk of heart disease. Most saturated fats and trans fats are considered to be the “bad” fats because they do the opposite. [Source] But I think that some saturated fats (like coconut, grass-fed butter and ghee) are beneficial and can be part of a healthy diet. Figure out what works for you :)

Healthy fats are a critical part of our diet. Our bodies need fat for optimal function. They are important for our heart health; they help make hormones, maintain our menstrual cycle and fat produce strong hair, skin and nails. [Source] Fat also helps us to feel full and contrary to the belief about fat the right kind of fat actually help us to stay lean!

Avocado, coconut oil, nuts, hemp seeds, tuna and salmon are some of my favorite foods containing healthy fats to eat.

1. Avocado: Avocados are rich in monounsaturated (healthy) fat that is easily burned for energy. Avocados also provide essential health-boosting nutrients, like: fiber, potassium, vitamin E, B-vitamins and folic acid. [Source]

I love having avocado with an omelette in the morning or spreading it on toast. It is also a great alternative to mayonnaise in making egg or tuna salad.

Avocado

2. Coconut and coconut oil: Coconut is delicious and can be used as a flour or in shavings. Coconut oil is a wonderful oil to cook with and it can be heated to fairly high temperatures. Nearly 50 percent of the fat in coconut oil is of a type rarely found in nature called lauric acid, which has unique health promoting properties. Coconut oil has be shown to improve your heart health, boost your thyroid, increase your metabolism and support your immune system [Source].

Try roasting vegetables in coconut oil (like my sweet potato fries) or spreading it on toast. Feeling adventurous? Coconut oil is awesome for taking off eye make-up. Not so adventurous? You can always make this coconut banana pancake

Coconut Banana Pancake-update

3. Nuts and nut butter: Walnuts are a good source of plant-based omega-3 fatty acids and antioxidants. Almonds are also rich in antioxidants including phenols, flavonoids, and phenolic acids. Other nuts like macadamia nuts, brazil nuts and pecans are good sources of healthy fat as well. [Source]

I like to top hot cereal with walnuts and I snack on almonds almost daily. Nut butter is delicious in oatmeal, on toast, on bananas/apples or just by the spoonful!

PB Spoon

4. Hemp seeds: Hemp seeds are a delicious source of omega-3 & 6 essential fatty acids. Our bodies do not produce essential fatty acids therefore we need to obtain them through food or other supplements [Source]. Hemp seeds add a nutty, crunch to foods. I like to sprinkle them on my salads (like my tuna salad) or on oatmeal.

Tuna sweet potato and avocado

5. Fatty fish: tuna & salmon: Fatty fish like albacore tuna and salmon contain omega-3s, which fight inflammation, help control blood clotting and lower blood pressure and triglycerides. [Source] I love smoked salmon but you don’t have to break the bank, canned Alaskan salmon is also a great option.

Smoked salmon lunch

Some other great sources of healthy fat are olive oil, chia seeds and flax seeds.

Want more info on healthy fats? Check out this video and article.

How do you add healthy fats to your diet?

49 thoughts on “Adding {Healthy} Fats to Your Diet {Fit Tip Tuesday}

1. Jan @ Sprouts n Squats

I used to be really anti fat as I thought it had so many unnecessary calories and I was a strong believer in thinking fat makes you fat. Such a misguided belief but I think a lot of people believe it.

Love your tips! I use all the fats you mentioned especially nuts and nut butter!

2. Arman @ thebigmansworld

This post came at such a great time- I am actively working on upping my fats since last week and can’t wait to start implementing more with it. Like Jan, I used to be anti-fat and fat free everything. I was also 24/7 hungry. Fail.

I personally love butter. ;)

3. Erin @ The Almond Eater

YESSS to avocados and nut butters! I’m so glad they are healthy fats because they are both so delicious! I try to eat them both regularly buttttt a lot of time I forget about my avocados and at least 1 or 2 of the bunch go bad. Womp, womp.

1. Amy Post author

I am trying to eat an avocado a day but I hear ya on going bad. When I buy them I try to stagger the ripeness. Buy one ripe one for now, medium for tomorrow, not so ripe for the next day. Not always do-able but it’s a good goal

Well now I definitely need to eat breakfast, you kill me with all these yummy pics! Annnnyway great post, so many people assume that just because it’s the same word, fat in food becomes fat in your body. And of course low-fat/non-fat was the big trend for like a decade which makes it even worse. But as you said, they are super important and beneficial (and delicious).

5. Becky @ Olives n Wine

All of these are some of my favs! I love lox, avocado and peanut butter (obviously)… I’ve been trying to get more coconut into my diet but it’s been a sloooow process! Looks like I need to eat more coconut flour mug cakes ;)

6. Natasha

Yum I definitely LOVE me some fats – I do well mostly with fats from dairy, eggs, and fish. I can do nuts and seeds in moderation, but my pants can get tight reallll quick if I eat them too often. hahah.
    I find that instead of upping carbs too much, upping my fats when I’m training a lot helps a TONNN, and I’m sure you know this by now :)

Great post!

Great post, love! I have been working on adding more fats into my diet as well. I’m realizing that I was silly for being afraid of them. I have learned that portion control is essential in eating fats, but you can definitely eat a normal serving at every meal and you will not get “fat.” You’ll feel better! I need to get on the hemp seed train. They’re really intriguing. I’ve also heard that hemp butter is good? Is that a thing?

8. Alex @ Kenzie Life

I really love avocados but I haven’t bought them recently because I forget about them and they go bad :( However, they are so buttery and creamy that they’re great in just about anything. I use a lot of coconut oil in my cooking, I enjoy nut butters (I just had Justin’s Maple Almond Butter yesterday for the first time—OMG), and I use to buy a lot of hemp seeds. They have a great crunch and are such a powerhouse of nutrients.

9. Brie @ Lean, Clean, & Brie

I love these tips! I recently fell in love with avocado and now I can’t get enough! I love using it as an alternative to mayonaise. I need to get some hemp seeds! I have heard so many benefits from incorporating them into your diet!

10. GiGi Eats Celebrities

I DRINK FAT!! I LOVE IT LOVE IT LOVE IT! I can only eat fatty things because my taste buds are obsessed with fat. Clearly I stick with healthy fat! I drink salmon fat, no joke… And coconut oil and I do a happy dance together pretty much every day! :) To all those people in the world who go fat-free because they think it’s healthier = YOURE MISSING OUT in SOOOOO MANY WAYS!

11. Lisa @ The Skinny on Health

Thanks for linking up!! :) I love this tips — fats are so essential to the diet and promote health in so many ways. I definitely think that saturated fats are not healthy (contrary to the paleo belief), but that unsaturated fats are extremely beneficial to health. I always swap out butter in recipes with avocado. Coconut oil is actually a saturated fat, but because it’s made of shorter chains of fatty acids, it’s healthier than other saturated fatty acids!

xo

12. Kathryn @ Illustrated Nutrition

Great post! I’m a firm believer in eating healthy fats, but unfortunately my mom is still stuck in the 1995 trend of “fat-free” everything (which drives me crazy). I’ve been trying to change her opinion on fats but it’s proven to be rather difficult!

13. Cassie

I totally forgot about hemp seeds until this morning – I have some in the back of my fridge. I wish I had added them to my afternoon snack of yogurt & apples.

I eat a lot of nut butter, I’ve been adding coconut to things and try to eat some avocado with my snack and dinner to stay satisfied. I can DEFINITELY tell a difference in my mood/satiety when I eat avocado.

14. Katie

I just started adding more fats into my diet after realizing my diet was SUPER carb heavy. I definitely have noticed a difference! My stomach got a little flatter, which I didn’t expect to happen. I now eat avocado all the time!

Thank you for posting this! I usually used to fear fats, because of all of the myths I used to believe. *le sigh..*
    I love learning new things about this, so this was a great read for me. :)

16. Pingback: Paleo: The Latest Diet Trend or Actually Legit? ‹ The Little Honey Bee

17. Pingback: Calorie Counting, Fat Fears & Trusting Yourself ‹ The Little Honey Bee

18. Pingback: My Bowls of Food and How to Make Them {Recipes} ‹ The Little Honey Bee