Today seemed like as good a day as any to link up with Amanda and think out loud – a weekly celebration of random and disjointed thoughts, just because. I always love to read “Thinking Out Loud” posts but have been hesitant about doing one myself. Confidence.

So here I go…

Thinking-Out-Loud

1. I hate wasting food. Over the past few days, I’ve had a couple recipe fails. Like inedible recipe fails. Throwing out food bothers me to no end. It makes me sad that I failed but more sad that someone, somewhere else in the world (or even a few blocks away) is hungry and I threw out food. Blah. Worst.

2. It’s freakin’ freezing here. I am so over winter. At Crossfit the other day, we were using a hair dryer to warm our hands. It’s that cold. Can we please fast forward to April?

3. I have been scouring the Internet in search of the perfect travelling backpack. Lesley and I are going to Peru next month and I don’t want to check baggage (with all of our connecting flights, it will for sure get lost) so I am looking for a backpack. So far I like this one.

4. The Biggest Loser makes me cry every.single.episode. Without fail. Did anyone watch on Tuesday night? Oh. my. gosh. Makeover week! It warms my heart seeing how far the contestants have come from week one. Not just the physical challenges, but their emotional journey is inspiring and one I can definitely relate to. Love Rachel.

5. Have you tried Trader Joe’s dark chocolate honey mints? I’m addicted. They are like a York Peppermint Pattie, minus the junk ingredients. They just contain honey, chocolate liquor and peppermint oil extract. So. Good. Americans… buy these. Then send me a bag. K thanks.

Dark chocolate honey mints

6. I think I want to join a gym. Right now my only fitness expense is Crossfit. Oh don’t get me wrong, it aint cheap but I am bored with just Crossfit and yoga and it’s too cold to run outside. If I can find a gym for $40-ish per month I think I’m going to do it. Thoughts?

7. I actually feel badly for our mayor. I am sure you have heard about our lovely mayor, Rob Ford. Well if you haven’t, he’s kind of into crack. And alcohol. Oh and he has the unfortunate luck of all of his antics being caught on video. Oy vey Mayor Ford. So sad. I do hope he goes and gets the help he needs. Oh and then fixes our subway system.

8. Speaking of the Biggest Loser… Jillian Michaels is seriously awesome. She’s one tough cookie (obvs) and is kinda my fitness idol. I love her attitude and yes her body is awesome.

9. I had a job interview yesterday. Just seeing where it might lead.

10. Eggs. I eat a lot of eggs.

Eggs and veggies

Okay so other than the lack of pics, that was fun!

What are you thinking out loud today?

Any recommendations on a travel backpack?!

60 thoughts on “Peru, Baking Failures & Freezing Fingers {Thinking Out Loud}

1. Megan @ Meg Go Run

Yes to so many of these things! I love Jillian, too! You should download some of her pod casts. Also, I hate wasting food and just this morning I had to throw out a bunch of veggies I forgot to take out of my lunch box yesterday. :( Oopss…

2. Juli

My gym recommendation? Try to find one that fits your interest but is as nearby your home as possible. If you have to make an effort to go there you end up never going there. Like me!
    I like the travelling backpack.
    Fingers crossed for the job interview!

3. Amanda @ .running with spoons.

Those dark chocolate honey mints — I can’t even :shock: I had a chocolate honey cake for my birthday this year and the combo is ah.maze.ing. Add mint to that and I might just go to heaven. Ohhhhh man. Why can’t we have a TJ’s in Canada, again? Thankfully I’m heading down to the States this weekend, so I may just have to keep my eyes peeled for a TJ’s to head into :D

4. Cori @ olivetorun

First of all… as I was reading I felt like I had a response to everything you wrote. To spare you I’ll just choose a few things.

The most important one is obviously about those mints. I will be going to TJ’s today [it was already on my plans but now I will be SURE it happens] and those will be in my house by tonight.

For the gym- I can’t tell you no… I have two gym memberships but because they offer me completely different things and for how much I use it, we can justify the cost.

Finally, good luck on the interview you went on!!

1. Amy Post author

I put a few of the mints in the freezer about an hour before I’m going to chow down… so delicious cold… even in this weather. You are so right about the gym. I can look at it like shopping for clothes: “cost per wear” aka cost per workout… Cost of gym divided by # of times I go = “cost per workout”. Thanks friend!

5. Nicole @ FruitnFitness

Peru sounds so fun! Like you I also hate wasting food. I typically eat my horrible kitchen failures because tossing it out makes me feel bad. I haven’t tried those mints, I might have to pick some up the next time I stop at TJ’s.

Pleeeeeeeeeeeeeease take me to Peru with youuuu! I can be really quiet (that’s a lie…) and I won’t disrupt your sisterly bonding time (that’s the truth!!). Seriously though, I told John we need to plan a big trip soon, reading about your travels, our blends in Australia, and my friend’s trip for Africa are all just too much to handle. Today I’m thinking out loud about how funny it is that today I’m getting my hair done, going to my fav law school class, and my first krav maga class. It’s like all conflicting the sides of my personality wrapped into one day!

1. Amy Post author

Your hair looks wonderful! I hope the rest of your day was too. And if you can skip school… PLEASE come with us!! Looking forward to hearing about this trip in the works :)

7. Becky @ Olives n Wine

Biggest Loser tears – The reason I chose not to watch this season, I can’t handle that emotional roller coaster right now! Job interview – yay!! Jillian Michaels is my idol, like real life idol and I’m considering going to a blogging conference where she will SPEAK!!!

1. Amy Post author

I tried on one from North Face yesterday but it was prettyyyy pricy! If it’s worth it then I might have to go back but I want to check out a few more.

8. Chelsea's Healthy Kitchen

I hate wasting food too! Living with my parents again this year is driving me nuts because they seriously waste so much food! That being said, if I make a recipe and it really sucks, I’d rather throw it out than eat it. :P

That’s exciting about the job interview! Keeping my fingers crossed for you!

9. Erin @ The Almond Eater

You’re going to Peru??? I think I hate you. That’s the ONE place I’m dying to go to. Well….maybe when I do eventually go I’ll call you up and ask you for travel tips ;) …..that’s me being an optimist ahha. Also–poor, poor Mayor. He’s been all over the news and I do feel bad but it’s also just pathetic to watch.

10. eatgreatbegreat

So lucky you’re going to Peru! That’s going to be an awesome trip! I absolutely hate wasting food too! I had a recipe fail recently as well and it pained me to throw it all in the garbage. So not cool!

P.S. – I Nominated you for the Sisterhood of the World Bloggers Award! Check out today’s post! :-)

Wasting food is one of the main things that makes me wary of testing recipes, especially since I don’t have a lot of experience doing that. Plus, it just isn’t in my budget to lose money on that stuff right now. Catch 22 for this blogger.

What’s your address? Maybe I will send you some of those mints, because peppermint patties are one of my fave candies ;)

1. Amy Post author

I totally hear ya. When I run out (I still have like 3 bags haha) I might just send you my address but only if I get yours in return to send some Canadian goodies too

12. Katie

Hi Amy! I’m a Masters of Global Health student at Notre Dame and I’m doing my thesis in Peru this summer! I’m so excited! I can’t wait to hear about your trip :)

1. Amy Post author

That’s so awesome Katie!! I will be sure to fill you in upon my return. We are going mid-February for 12 days… can’t wait. ps. I am a huge ND bball fan! Especially Skylar Diggins :)

1. Amy Post author

Machu Picchu has been on my list for the past two years… so glad I am making it happen and I will definitely send tips your way :)

13. Sam @ Better With Sprinkles

Umm, want to find a travel backpack big enough to fit me into? I’m definitely with you on wanting to get out of this cold…I couldn’t even start my car yesterday morning! And as for those honey mints…noted for the next time I’m in the States ;-)

1. Amy Post author

But seriously… the travel backpacks I was trying on yesterday at North Face (too expensive) were HUGE!! I seriously could have fit into them so I’m down to try to stuff you in there if you are :)

14. Lucie@FitSwissChick

Yes to the gym!! I do the same stuff like you (Crossfit, Yoga, Running) but TOTALLY love my gym. I can go whenever I feel like (it opens at 6am) and sometimes it is such a great alternative to do a solo session.
    Cross fingers for the job interview!

1. Amy Post author

You are so right! Thanks girly :) can you just move here so we can do all that stuff together? Or better yet, I should just move there…

15. Megan (The Lyons' Share)

Not reading the comments because we record Biggest Loser every week and save it for the weekend! But yes – so emotional, and love it so much! I hate wasting food, too :(. I usually eat most of my “fails,” but sometimes you just gotta toss them – don’t feel bad!

16. Nikki @ Quest for Balance

I’m also obsessed with Jillian Michaels. I’ve been tackling some of her workout videos on YouTube and OMG they’re intense, and she is awesome. Unbelievably inspirational and motivating. And so real. Great combo. I miss The Biggest Loser. I ditched cable in an effort to cut down on utility costs, and because everything is available online, but for some reason I feel strange watching The Biggest Loser online. I think it’s because I had such a ritual with watching it when it aired before. I think I need to get over this though and have a marathon.

17. Caitlin

That snack plate looks super awesome/lovely and good luck on the job interview!!! I have one today and one tomorrow so I feel ya. After the interview it’s like a freaking waiting game, which I hate!

18. Gabby @ the veggie nook

I feel a little bad for Rob Ford too. I mean, sure he keeps getting himself into these messes by being ridiculous in the first place, but who are all these people who feel the need to video tape him and invade his privacy? Shouldn’t that be important news too?

Also- I hate wasting food, and it’s one of the only things I hate about blogging- because bloggers tend to experiment which occassionally means wastage. Boo.

Congrats on the interview! I’ll keep my fingers crossed for you :)

19. Helen

The dark chocolate honey mints sounds so good! I’ll have to see if my Trader Joe’s carries it.
    And, I hate wasting food too.Even if a recipe doesn’t turn out that good, I deal with it and eat it. lol.

20. Arman @ thebigmansworld

Can you change the tickets from Peru to Australia? Pretty please?

Regarding a gym- I found one with older cliental to be much better- in terms of easier access to equipment, more relaxed atmosphere. Some of the chains I went to before that were often overcrowded and were fights to get the good stuff. Also location!

21. Christine @ Gotta Eat Green

I do not feel bad for RoFo… he needs to step down and get help. Yes the media is going overboard but their job is to report news and he keeps getting himself into trouble which makes him newsworthy. I have been eyeing those mints since you posted a pic of them! They look so so good! Grab me a bag next time, would ya? ;)

22. Julie

There was a sale on eggs for $1 and my family bought 16 dozen eggs. I go through a dozen or more per week.

I didn’t know that was the idea of those dark chocolate honey mints – to taste like York’s – I’ll have to get them now!

23. Sarah

Oooh…good luck with the interview! Definitely keep us updated if something comes of it! I HATE wasting food too! Even if it’s been sitting in my fridge for weeks (oops!), and I don’t even really like it, I still get upset when I have to throw it out. You’d think I’d just learn either not to make something like that, or to eat it! :-)

24. ahealthyhappyhome

Love those dark chocolate peppermints! I’m going to Trader Joe’s tomorrow too! Although I don’t really need them right now but they are so good! I also eat a lot of eggs. Like at least one a day. My husband does too so we typically by two large packs of Organic Eggs from Costco every other week! And usually need more in between! I was thinking today I hope I don’t develop a sudden allergy, I’d die!

I hate wasting food as well. It’s just like man.. other people would be dying for this. So, I do my best to eat all that I can without throwing out much. You’re so lucky to be going to Peru! I would love to do all of the traveling you have been doing lately! :D
    The Biggest Loser never fails to make me cry. I am seriously so proud of the people on there!
    Good luck with the weather, find a gym, and the interview having good results!

26. Jan @ Sprouts n Squats

I’ve been eating a lot of eggs lately too so I hear you ;)

Um yuck to those choc mint honey mints. Just say no to mint-choc ;)

I hate wasting food too but I’ve got much better at using everything we have in the fridge.

27. Kelsey

Totally connected to everything in this post – I LOVE it! And yes, the Biggest Loser has made me tear up and cry so much this season, and especially when I watched makeover week. I teared up for each contestant. I have a deep love for Rachel, and think she is going to do AMAZING. Jillian Michaels = on my list of famous people I NEED to meet, along with Bob Harper, because of Crossfit (duh!) I’ve totally thought about joining a gym, even though I do CrossFit as well…sometimes it would be nice to zone out there. And only if TJ’s would be closer to me and I would try those in a heartbeat!

28. Pingback: PB & J Baked Oatmeal Cups ‹ The Little Honey Bee